Thursday, September 30, 2010

Of freelancing, travelling and falling sick

Having  crossed the line into freelancing 100%, I guess I wanted to experience all the benefits of freelancing at the same time - working, travelling and touring,taking snaps and meeting people. I had forgotten that it’s almost impossible to experience all benefits simultaneously.  So I set off on touring the country and visiting all my friends that I had not visited in a long time at the same time working on my projects. Recall that as a freelancer, I am not limited to sitting in an office; I can work from any location of the globe. So my first trip was to the eastern part of the country – Mbale, a place I had not visited since 2008, it was a great trip. My friends were happy to see me, and I left when I really wanted to stay. I guess I will be going back early next year or later this year.

My next trip was to my home town – Kabale, a small shabby dusty district with one lake and 1000 hills but with very warm and loving people. In those days when I was in full time employment, I would travel Friday night and travel back by sun morning so that I be on my desk by Monday. However, this trip round, I travelled during the day on Saturday and was there till mid-week. It was great to be able to see the town alive on a working day and  to meet lots of people – many of them thought I was now working back home in Kabale – they have no clue that freelancing enables one to work from anywhere. The  snap on the  left was taken at about 10am in the morning  at Butobere when the sun was trying to shine through the fog and mist. It can be really cold in Kabale and the sun shows up after 10am.

On my return, from Kabale, I headed mid-west to Kyenjojo district – it’s a new district in the Toro Kingdom and the people speak pure Rutooro. However, I did not enjoy really much on this particular trip. I fell ill and returned the following day to Kampala to get treatment. Good for me the medical experts did not find any malaria fever or typhoid as I had expected – I was told I had a viral attack. Was advised to takes lots of fluids and to spend lots of time resting. I was down for 5 days but I am now back on my feet and feeling wow – great. I will go back to Kyenjojo when I am strong again.

So when I look back at freelancing, sure it’s great but it also has its sour part – like no medical insurance, previously when I fell ill, the company I worked     for would meet the costs, now I have to meet them. Furthermore, payment is never guaranteed like in salaried employment. You are never sure when a client will pay – some give you their word and fail to honor it, others however, do honor it so you are never sure.
The other aspect I have noticed is that my sense of fashion has gone out of the window, on most days, I work in my pajamas till like midday when I freshen up and go to get myself a bite. My ties and corporate white shirts are rarely touched – I prefer my cotton T-shirts, jeans and open shoes. Those days in formal employment it was neck ties, white shirts and closed shoes  Monday to Thursday – Friday was always dress down Friday and I always looked forward to it. Now I look forward to no day, I look forward to projects only.

So far so good with freelancing, I am yet to discover more, but the freedom that comes with it alone is good enough.
Meanwhile, some people confessed that they freelance simply because they are lazy – my experience has shown that any lazy person cannot handle freelancing, unless the definition of the word “lazy” has changed. A lazy person is better off on a full time employment where he is assured of monthly salaried payment whether he works hard or not. In freelancing, you get paid for what you deliver – no delivery, no payment; Simple and clear.

2 comments:

Afyanor said...

"I freelance because i am lazy" ha h a ha, he surely must have been joking. Never been to Kyenjojo.. and i think i'm not going to try it out. I hope your viral attack has been counter attacked by your immune system. Looking forward to seeing more pics from Kabale. The memory of the thick morning fog reminds me a lot... a lot of good memories.
Your love for freelancing is encouraging... very encouraging.

balraj said...

We are a Malaysia born company,where we provide transport services( for tour/travels),
in Malaysia,Singapore and Thailand for private tour, group tour or business tour.
Currently we have MPVS(6 to 10 seater), Vans (12 seater) and tour Bus(40 seater),
All our drivers are well trained and they are very helpful and honest.
All our vehicles are fully insurer(passenger insurance and vehicles) ,as permits ,GPRS,
LCD monitor for a cosy and comfortable journey.
Hospitality is our Speciality.

For more information please do not hesitate to call

MR Balraj at 0167645203(Malaysia mobile)
or email zrvision_zr@yahoo.com