Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas in my eyes

C.R. Rwaheru (R.I.P)
I recall vividly what Christmas  meant to me over the years. Maybe when I am older  it will mean something else but  Christmas has been changing in my eyes ever since I was a child.

I recall how I would fail to sleep on the eve of Christmas. Usually my parents bought for me and my siblings new clothes to wear on Christmas day.The new clothes would be shown to us on Christmas eve. That would spike a certain feeling of anxiety within me that even sleep would elude me.

At that time in my life, Christmas  was about the new clothes and the food. Usually we would be two or more families at home - my parents would invite either a neighbour family or some relatives.We always had a full house. I never used to notice the people. For me as long as I got the new clothes, Christmas was perfect.

When I joined upper primary and lost interest in clothes, the food still made my Christmas. I would make sure that I ate a lot of food and took lots of soda. I could even go to the loo to empty my stomach and go to eat more food. At that time in my life, Christmas was about food and soda. The more food and soda I took, the better Christmas became.

During my secondary school days, I lost interest in Christmas. I had no interest in food any more. I saw Christmas as any other day. I even wondered why people celebrated it  yet according to Christianity, Easter is more important than Christmas. I used to graze our cows on Christmas day. I would defiantly refuse to cut grass in advance so that I do graze them on Christmas day. At that time in my life, Christmas was basically empty. Nothing to look forward to.

After university, when I started working, Christmas again started having meaning. It was a time I got holidays to go home to see my mom (My dad, C.R.Rwaheru pictured above, passed on way back when I was at Uni - he got a stroke). At that time, Christmas meant seeing my mom and watching her make us feel special.Christmas was about spending each minute that I had of the holiday with her. And it sure made lots of sense.

Now with my mom also gone (its two years since she died - succumbed to diabetes), you may think Christmas is nothing to me again. Empty.No meaning. No. Actually I see Christmas as a time to prepare for something higher and a time to be with people. To be with family.

At this phase in my life, Christmas  is about preparing for something higher than life. A time to share what we have - our time, laughter and our very presence with those that matter most to us - family and friends.

I do not mind if I get no new clothes. I do not care if the food is good or bad. I also know my parents will never be home for any other Christmas. Despite all that, Christmas still makes more sense now. 

This is because my faith in God has improved greatly over the years. Now Christmas means preparing for something higher. Looking beyond the physical(food, clothes, soda, people) to something beyond life (Christ the New Born King). And preparing my own heart for this wonderful gift of Christmas to share it with people.

So this Christmas I will be driving home on Christmas eve (I know its a bit late but have to go). To be with my family and share this wonderful gift of Christmas.

I hope to listen to Christmas carols as  I drive the long 8hr distance.Once there I, will decorate the tree and share this wonderful gift of Christmas  with family and friends.  For Christmas is a gift from above.
At this phase of my life, Christmas is about preparing for something higher than life. And sharing this very gift of Christmas with people.

Merry Christmas to you all. 

Lots of Hugs
(((((((()))))))))