Monday, July 12, 2010

Searching for the most sort after item in Uganda – Vuvuzela!

Yes, the FIFA world cup 2010 might be gone, but not the madness it created. Who of us had ever heard of the ugly sound of a vuvuzela? How many of us heard even heard or known of such a term? But it is one of the most memorable items that the world cup has left behind.
I have a strong belief that the ugly sound of the Vuvuzela is here to stay. Come the next world cup, the vuvuzelas will be imported all the way from South Africa to wherever the world cup will be.
Here in Uganda, I decided to get myself the vuvuzela as a souvenir - so as to always remember the 2010 World Cup. It was so special for many of us for different reasons. And to some like me, the vuvuzela was one of those things that made it indeed special. Never before in the previous World Cups did that ugly sound of the Vuvuzelas make such an impact. It was a must have item for all the fans; it was indeed a vuvuzela world cup.
So my search to equip myself with this popular item took me to the biggest stores in town – Game, Shoprite, Garden City and Nakumart but alaas! I was very unlucky. I got the same response from all of them. “Sorry, vuvuzelas are sold out at the present” I was not ready to give up, so I would ask the sales person where they thought I would get myself a Vuvuzela. You will not believe this but I moved to all the shops that I was recommended to. I even went to a bookstore – which I knew sells books but was determined to leave no stone unturned in my search for a vuvuzela. So I went to the book store and of course I was told book stores sell just books and no vuvuzelas. I was just following a lead a sales person had given me.
After some time, I was tired and had run out of time. I decided to abandon the search for the vuvuzela temporarily.
I still have not obtained one, I really really really really really really really really really need one – to keep as a souvenir for the 2010 World Cup. But as mentioned above, the vuvuzela is really out of stock in Kampala – I wonder why the Chinese traders that seem to duplicate everything – including Nokia phones, failed to exploit the opportunity and duplicate vuvuzelas for those of us that needed them.
I will keep looking around till I land myself a vuvuzela.

4 comments:

Afyanor said...

Ha ha ha. Now this is funny. Did you really go to the book store? Thats a practical joke your friend played on you, ha ha ha.
For some reason you have made me feel like getting one. I seem to have seen one piece yesterday at some Asiatic sports center on Kampala road but you dont have to check it out, that was yesterday... :-)

@CharlieBeau Diary of a Muzungu said...

Your post made me laugh. I may have a WORLD CUP 2010 vuvuzela but how much are you willing to pay for it?
It's Limited Edition with all the packaging on - have not blown it, even once!
:)
Charlie
Kampala Days, diary of a muzungu
www.muzungubluguganda.com

@CharlieBeau Diary of a Muzungu said...

I mean...
www.muzungubloguganda.com

Innocent Kazooba Ka'Nyamuhanga said...

Charlie, is that offer still on?? I need that vuvuzela man. I sit in Kamwokya Kampala - just Igwana. Just above Endiiro Coffee at Kisemnti. Hala. 0772680158.