Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Sleep is for the weak. Real men sleep at dawn.

My friends have warned me how I will  finally pay back. How I am destroying myself. That my actions will catch up with me. Apparently I am cheating nature. And my crime??? I spend many more hours awake at night  than asleep.

Maybe its a risk I am willing to take. I just enjoy being awake when the world is asleep. But my friends have been  telling me to stop the habit. I know I suck when I wake up tired every morning due to sleeping at dawn.

By the way, I don't consider myself a night person. I don't go out to bars or night clubs. I am awake reading either a book  or a blog or writing a blog  while I trade the Asian session in the forex markets with a cup of coffee.  I always want to go to bed at 6:00AM and to be up two hours later. I definitely wake up tired every morning. That's what my friends consider a crime.

But how can one spend an entire night asleep in this day and age? When there is internet and the global markets are open. I  always have pending books to read too. I have  to complete reading “Trading in the Zone” and then embark on “Looking for Alaska” (Can’t wait for this one – might even start on it as soon as I get it even if it means reading both books simultaneously). 

So my friends really don’t get it. They think I am  cheating nature. They believe I will pay back. Maybe its the risk I am willing to take. Maybe one time in future I will blog about the effects of my actions. But being awake at this time (its 0343hrs as I type this blog) is just awesome.

I am also a strong believer in living a full life as compared to mere existing. And nothing makes me more alive than being awake at this time of the night. Despite the challenges that come with it – I am always tired in the morning or dozing but I am willing to brave that.

I don't recall where I read the phrases “Sleep is for the weak” and that “Real men sleep at dawn ” but those two phrases show you that I am not the only kind of person who believes in being up till dawn. I also think that if you are doing what you love, be it for money, or a hobby, you are always willing to go the extra mile for it – even if it means taking a risk.

And being the guy that loves risking, I am going to risk cheating nature, I will stay awake long hours at night as I trade, read a book, code, blog or even watch a movie.

And when my time of old age comes, I will definitely have lived a life – my friends will call it risking my life but I believe I will have lived, not merely existed. I will have had such a marvellous time reading a great book, watching a great movie, taking that winning trade (or at times losing trade that happens too), writing a blog e.t.c while the world slept on. I just wish my friends could understand that for some of us, the love for what we do is  far much greater than the love for sleep.

2 comments:

Afyanor said...

Kazooba, you cannot cheat nature.

Kati, i have to be careful on taking this post seriously. I am the kind that believes: one needs 6hrs of sleep (or more, if possible).

Sleep works like weed on me. Once i've had a 6hr-sleep i can do so much while a wake... like a machine. The brain goes hyper!! And, Man, this seems more normal

Innocent Kazooba Ka'Nyamuhanga said...

Hey Afya, thanks for the comments. 6 hrs of sleep is a total waste of time. 4 hrs is fair enough. If it was not for the dozing, I would settle for 2 hrs of sleep. Too much to do. So little time. The night - when the whole world is asleep is my best time to focus, think and basically plan. I have no idea whats with the night but I love it quite and still.